Questions and Answers About Group Counseling For Children
What is group counseling?
A small group of people with a similar situation, concern, or problem meet together to:
- Talk about their concern or problem
- Express their feelings with others who will understand what they are going through
- Provide support to each other
- Learn more about the concern and how to cope
- Learn and practice new skills
How often does the group meet?
The groups will meet once per week for 45-60 minutes. The number of sessions depends on the topic, but will generally meet for 6 or 8 weeks. The social skills groups will meet for 1 ½ hours for 12 weeks.
What will be expected of group members ?
- To be on time
- To be honest
- To be willing to listen to others
- To be willing to share their thoughts, feelings, and opinions
- To keep what others share in the group confidential
- 6. To be respectful and supportive.
What will group members do in the group?
We will do many different things, including reading books, talking, playing games, doing art work, and watching videos about the topic of the group.
Who will be in the group?
Group members will be with other children close to their own age. In some cases brothers and sisters will meet with brothers and sister from another family.
For more information call Naomi Fields at 770-949-0074
Index of Groups